Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Remix project response

The current remix project show was very interesting. I was very impressed both by the effort most of my classmates put into their projects, and the amount of creativity showcased. Many of the ideas shown were fresh takes on old concepts, and they really worked.

One of the most interesting remix projects involved Kelly Kries' Alice in Wonderland images. Alice in Wonderland is my favorite childhood book; my parents taught me to read at an early age because I wouldn't stop badgering them to read it to me. Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland examines the fantastical and the bizarre, turning concepts to the side and requesting you interpret them in a new light. That's what Kelly has done with her project.

The pictures were especially interesting. The flowers inserted throughout the image of the raging river were suggestive of the rose gardens Alice runs into, both in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. The images taken as a whole, with the fragmented thoughts and sentences parsed throughout them, remind me of what Alice's mind could look like; confused, somewhat frightened, as she's being carried along by the tide of raging madness that is Wonderland.

I am also appreciative of the amount of work put into reworking the pictures, being something of a dunce with Photoshop.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hey it's Kelly I was wondering if you had come up with any ideas for the group project. It's due in two weeks and I was wondering if you wanted to meet some time next week?